The mission of IN LSAMP is to increase the quality and quantity of students from historically underrepresented (URM) populations receiving Bachelor degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines. To accomplish this, we focus on promoting student success by engaging students early in their academic career with undergraduate research, building a community of faculty mentors at our campuses, designing professional development activities for students, and support academic persistence through graduation with our network of peer mentors and tutors.
We focus on:
- strengthening URM students’ academic preparation
- increasing engagement with their STEM discipline
- retaining students in STEM majors to graduation
- transitioning students from community college to four-year institution
- preparing students for STEM careers and graduate school through professional development
IN LSAMP formed in 2016 with an award from the National Science Foundation, HRD 1618-408. The alliance consists of six institutions of higher education in Indiana. Chancellor Nasser Paydar, IUPUI, serves as the Principal Investigator (PI) for the program. There are four Co-PI’s, alliance director, project manager, campus coordinators (minimum of one on each campus) and other program staff. The alliance comes together with a single shared goal of doubling the number of STEM Bachelor degrees earned by URM students at each campus.